3 Quick and Simple Breakfast Recipes
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but you can really only eat cereal, bacon, or toast so many times before you just want to forgo breakfast and wait till lunch! Skipping breakfast can negatively affect your entire workday or weekend: it can lower your concentration level thus reducing productivity, you’ll have less energy to do the things you need to, it has been scientifically proven that skipping the first meal of the day can negatively impact your weight dramatically, and many more (For even more reasons check out this list by Health o Wealth).
There are a variety of reasons some people skip the first meal of the day, but the main reasons why I used to skip it were: I thought I didn’t have enough time in the morning to prepare something and I didn’t realize that there were things I could prepare besides eggs and toast.
But with a little Googling one Sunday morning and a bit of curiosity, I never leave my house without at least a little breakfast treat.
These are my three favorite breakfast recipes at the moment:
1. Purple Fruit Smoothie (Ready in about 5 Minutes)
This fruit smoothie is the perfect way to start the morning. It's packed full of vitamins and nutrients to get your mind and body ready for the day ahead. I especially like making this in the summertime, because of how refreshing it is to sip on when it’s already 78 degrees at 8am.
- 2 Frozen Bananas with skins peeled
- ½ Cup of Frozen Blueberries
- 1 Cup of Orange Juice (or any juice of your choice)
- 1 Tablespoon of Honey or Vanilla Extract (to Increase Sweetness and Consistency of Blended Treat)
- Protein Powder of your choice to add a little bit of oomph to your morning.
Simple – Just place the ingredients in to a blender (use more or less juice to change the thickness of the smoothie), blend for about a minute or two, and enjoy!
Definitely one of my favorite morning breakfast treats!
2. Pumpkin Oatmeal (Ready in about 7 Minutes)
Start your day with a burst of flavor, whole grains and vitamins. This oatmeal recipe was one of the first breakfast recipes that I found, and it is by far my favorite – it is easy to make and because of the density of the oats I’m normally full till at least 11am.
- 1 Cup of Quick – Cooking Rolled Oats (You can use other oats such as steel cut oats or even cream of wheat to switch it up)
- ¾ Cup Milk – more/less depending on the desired consistency
- ½ Cup of Canned Pumpkin Puree - Try using fresh pumpkin and taste the difference!
- ¼ Teaspoon of Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 Teaspoon of Cinnamon Sugar
Exceptionally easy to recreate - Mix the oats and milk together in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 or 2 minutes. Stir the oats a bit and add more milk if you want to change the consistency and then microwave again for 30 seconds.
Stir in the pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon sugar – and that’s it! Let it cool and enjoy it while getting ready.
3. Banana Tortilla Sandwich/Burrito (Ready in about 3 Minutes)
A simple twist on an American Staple, this breakfast treat is another one of my favorites because of how quick but tasty it is!
- 1 (6 Inch) Flour Tortilla
- Peanut Butter (Try Almond Butter or even Hazelnut to switch it up)
Lay the tortilla flat on a plate, spread the desired amount of peanut butter evenly on the tortilla, and drizzle some honey and raisins in for flavor. Place a peeled banana on the tortilla shell, wrap, and enjoy! There are a variety of ways to make this and the potential end results are endless, but the recipe above is my favorite at the moment.
Start your day right with a quick recipe like the ones above and see what a difference eating breakfast can make on the rest of your day!
If you’re looking for a new apartment home after breakfast, be sure to check out our Apartment Guide to find the perfect community with the kitchen and amenities you desire!
If you have a quick breakfast recipe like the ones above you’d like to share, let us know by tweeting us at @RentalLiving or leaving a comment below!