Thanksgiving Trivia and 6 Family Favorite Side Dishes
Thanksgiving is almost here and if you’re like us then that means you haven’t planned anything, and you’re just looking forward to taking a few days off in your apartment home and sleeping in! That said, it is probably time to at least think about some side dishes to go along with your turkey. To get you in the holiday mindset we have some Thanksgiving facts and recipes for family favorite side dishes.
Thanksgiving Trivia and Facts
Thanksgiving is one of those ubiquitous holidays that as a kid just came once a year a month before Christmas, but there are many interesting things behind the big day(s)!
- Thanksgiving staples like mashed potatoes, cranberries, milk and corn on the cob were not on the menu at the first Thanksgiving Feast.
- If it was up to Benjamin Franklin, the turkey would have been the National Bird of the United States.
- The first Thanksgiving college football game was between Yale and Princeton in 1876.
- The first Thanksgiving Feast took place in 1621 and lasted three days.
- More than 40 million turkeys are raised in Minnesota each year!
- It’s possible for a turkey to drown if it looks up when it’s raining.
- Turkeys can run more than 50 mph for short periods of time.
- Only male turkeys … “gobble gobble”; females are called hens and "cackle".
Classic Side Dishes
Sometimes the Thanksgiving side dishes outshine the turkey and gravy! The six recipes below are sure to wow and complete any feast:
Brussels sprouts are either hit or miss with people, but this recipe is one way to convert naysayers.
Thanksgiving isn’t complete unless you’ve had a couple spoonfuls of this cheesey gratin.
How does that saying go: “What Oprah says goes.” And if she recommends this puree you know the family will be clamoring for it too.
There are no words to describe this casserole other than – perfect.
Whoever thought of combining sweet potatoes and marshmallows is a genius.
A simple kale salad or side that you can make while the turkey cooks; not to mention it’s an easy way to get some greens into your diet.
Looking for a great apartment in Orange County, San Diego County or Silicon Valley? Try our apartment search feature to find great apartment communities available throughout California.